Tuesday, 5 September 2017
Bye Bye Bus to Barnsley
Ta Ta Two Six Five!
fbb is grateful to Sheffield correspondent Roy for this picture of the last 265 bus at Sheffield Transport Interchange (formerly Central Bus Station, formerly Pond Street Bus Station); photographed way past fbb's bedtime at 2255 on Saturday night.
It was not the last bus through to Barnsley which ran an hour earlier.
The route has been remarkably stable in very general terms, historically, having been started (unnumbered) by "Sheffield Tramways and Motors" in November 1925. Glossop's "competitive" service was absorbed in April 1926 and route numbers were added the following July.
In the Fir Vale and Fith Park area, buses ran either via Barnsley Road or via Firth Park shopping centre.
Then there was another choice a little further north with some going via Ecclesfield Village and others via Ecclesfield Common.
Via Barnsley Road and Ecclesfield Village was allocated number 66; via Firth Park and Ecclesfield Common was dubbed 67. In 1927, a third variant was added for buses via Firth Park and Ecclesfield Village which introduced the 65.
Routes were extended to Leeds and Bradford in the early 1930s and, for a while, could use any of the various routes at the Sheffield end, but in 1939 the whole lot was curtailed to Barnsley as a response to fuel shortages during the war.
In March 1949 a standardised pattern recommenced.
65 : Sheffield Barnsley
66 : Sheffield Barnsley Bradford
67 : Sheffield Barnsley Leeds
fbb's 1952 timetable extract shows the different routes.
In 1963 the Sheffield terminus was moved from Exchange Street, where buses stood just below the Brightside and Carbrook Co-op "City Stores" ...
... to the Pond Street (later "Central") bus station, although other services (e.g. Rotherham, below) remained in Exchange Street.
Castle Market, now in the throes of redevelopment, replaced the Co-op. Its companion "Woolworths" building is seen behind the 69 bus above.
In 1971 the Bradford Route was removed ...
... leaving buses to Barnsley and Leeds alone. Changing fashions, a decline in long bus services and privatisation brings us up to date with a bus, now numbered 265 ...
... every 30 minutes, via Barnsley Road and Ecclesfield Common, a mixture never operated in the good old days.
Joint operation came to an end removing "Sheffield" buses from the Barnsley Run.
fbb never rode the 67 to Leeds, but when the British Railways owned "C" fleet and routes of the former Sheffield Joint Omnibus Committee were transferred to National Bus Group companies, your then somewhat slimmer bus watcher did ride all the was from Sheffield to Bradford on an ex Sheffield bus in Yorkshire Woollen livery; this one (?)
The route 66 journey took about three hours and involved fbb's only visit to Cleckheaton and Heckmondwike.
The memories of the posterior pain are re-awakened as these words are typed. The return journey was by train!
So these upstart Stagecoach chappies have thrown history to the wind and made significant changes to the Barnsley route from last Sunday 3rd September.
These changes and their publicity (?) will be examined in tomorrow's blog.
Next Barnsley blog : Wednesday 6th September